france_unipaints arabic_unipaints English_unipaints

FAQs | Technical Support and Tools - Uniguard

In addition to our office-based Technical Department, we offer advice, support, and training, on a wide range of topics, and on our

FAQ page

, you'll find answers to the most common questions we have been asked about.

Can't find what you were looking for? Please get in touch and we'll be happy to help. Contact us

Tiling Products FAQs -Learn more | Technical Support

What is the difference between a C1 & C2 tile adhesive?

C1 classification means normal cementitious tile adhesive & C2 classification means improved cementitious tile adhesive with higher adhesion strength and can be used in conditions requiring higher tile adhesive performance such are large format tiles, outdoor applications, and deformable substrates.

What is the recommended thickness for applying tile adhesive?

the tile adhesive should be applied by a thickness of around 3mm to 6mm.

What size of notched trowel should I use?

The size of the notch impacts the coverage of adhesive on the back of the tile and the unsuitable size of the trowel can cause failure of tile adhesive. for small tiles sizes, it is recommended to use small trowels such as 6mm by 6mm or even 4mm by 4mm. While for large tiles you can use trowel sizes 8mm by 8mm or even 10mm by 10mm. and the right selection is tested by lifting the tile to check adhesive coverage.

What is the best Uniguard tile adhesive for swimming pools?

Unimix Tile Adhesive C1TE S1 can be used for all swimming pools or any submerged applications with ceramic or porcelain tiles. 

What are Uniguard tile adhesives and grouts that can be used outdoors?

Roofs, balconies, terraces and backyards are some of the most common types of outdoor areas that are tiled with various types of tiles which will be exposed to environmental conditions.Uniguard has products designated for outdoor use of tile adhesives like Unimix Tile Adhesive C1TE S1 and tile grouts like Unimix TG Plastic.

What is the best suitable tile adhesive used over waterproofing?

When tiling over flexible cementitious waterproofing, it is best you use a flexible tile adhesive like Unimix Tile Adhesive C1TE S1.

Which tile grout should I use?

In general, cement-based tile grouts are the most commonly used and are suitable for the vast majority of applications. Unimix TG Plastic can be used with almost all tile types for joints up to 6mm wide.

Why and where should I use epoxy grouts like Uniguard Epoxy Tile Grout?

Use Uniguard Epoxy Tile Grout in areas where hygienic conditions matter & in areas where the tile grout will be subjected to severe forces, loads or constant chemical aggression or cleaning may be found, such as hospitals, schools, kitchens, bathrooms, public parking areas, warehouses.

What causes tile grouts to crack?

Most common causes are the lack of movement joints, movements in the substrate, and the choice of the wrong tile grout for certain applications or faulty product preparation and application practices.

Waterproofing FAQs - learn more | Technical Support

When should you use a waterproofing membrane?

you should always use a waterproofing membrane in any area that could have direct contact with water to keep water from penetrating into the substrate. These would include but are not limited to, toilets, kitchens, steam rooms, water retaining structures, swimming pools, Foundations, Roofs, facades, balconies, and others.

What are the types of waterproofing Uniguard offers?

Uniguard offers different technologies for waterproofing: 1 waterproofing mortars; Cementitious waterproofing with a range of versatile cementitious waterproofing solutions to protect your concrete surfaces from water intrusion starting from 2K Slurry to 2K Plus 2 Liquid-applied waterproofing membranes; with a different technology from acrylic to polyurethanes to Bitumenius cold-applied membranes such as HB Topcaot, Uniguard PU 1K, Bituguard 3 Water-repellent impregnation such as Franseal WB, SB products & high penetration sealers such as Clear sealer WB,SB.

What is the Positive-side waterproofing and negative-side waterproofing that Uniguard 2K Plus has?

The positive-side waterproofing is when you apply the Waterproofing on the outside of the structure, on the “wet” side of the wall. Whereas negative-side waterproofing is when you waterproof that wall from the inside of the structure.

What is the most important surface preparation step before applying any waterproofing and is crucial to the success of waterproofing?

A wide range of fluid-applied waterproofing materials is available to protect structures, yet even the best of these will not perform adequately without proper surface preparation. Do the proper coving for the sharp corners/edges into concave shape with cement mortar such as Unimix UW in weak areas (wall and floor junctions)to create a seamless surface.

What causes dampness in the internal walls? Is there any solution for it?

Internal walls may experience dampness due to various reasons such as high groundwater table which is one of the common issues, similarly cracks in the walls allow water to ingress from the terrace and external walls and cause dampness. Damp walls promote the growth of mold and mildew that can deteriorate indoor air quality and may pose a serious threat to the health of the residents. and Cementitious waterproofing product Uniguard 2K Plus is a perfect solution for treating rising dampness and other water seepage issues as it can withstand high negative water pressure reaching up to 5 bar.

Generally, the exterior paints are decorative in nature but do not protect it from rainwater. Does Uniguard offer waterproof exterior paint?

Exterior paints available in the markets provide decoration only which is not enough to withstand the weather conditions. You need an acrylic waterproof coating, Uniguard HB topcoat builds a 200µ smooth finish film that resists rainwater as well as it is UV-resistant and available in attractive colors, or Uniguard HB tex with a textured finish with water and weather resistance.

What can you use for Roof waterproofing?

Roofs are the most externally exposed area that faces harsh weather conditions. so you need a seamless waterproofing membrane with no cracks, gaps, or voids to allow the ingress of water, UV resistance and durable solutions. you can view effective long-lasting systems from Uniguard for waterproofing exposed roofs.

How do you protect stone Façade/ cladding?

sealing the surface is recommended after you've completed the stone facade/cladding installation. This is best done using high-quality penetrating sealers to protect the beauty of natural stone cladding. Uniguard offers Franseal WB, SB a fully breathable and invisible water-repellent impregnation treatment that lines inside the microscopic pores, Long lasting protection from both oil and water-based stains, UV protection, and extremely effective weather-resistant. in addition to Franseal Nanosil, which is an impregnating, colour-enhancing, stain-proof, and matt wet-look, non-filming treatment.